Subject: LW 4.0 PC Woes!
From: [email-masked] (Alex Fernandez +1 508 960 6510)
To: [email-masked]
Date: 3 May 95 22:47:00 -0400

O.K.

First, let me say that I'm a newbee to 3D animation, and LW in
general. So I wouldn't be surprised if I'm doing something wrong
(I hope I am). 

I'm running the pre-release on a PC with the following:
486DX2 @ 80Mhz
32 MB RAM
1.5 GB HD
Diamond Viper VLB w/ 2MB VRAM
Windows for Work Groups 3.11 w/ 32-bit file access & 32-bit disk access.

Second, I just like to make a note that the install option should
have an option for installing JUST the LW programs in case some
out there don't have a CDROM. Otherwise, the installation process
will not complete (Am I doing something wrong?). My computer at work
doesn't have a CDROM, but my home computer does.

My first problem is with the make preview function. When I make
previews of animations, two things happen:

1. If the animation is less than about 100 frames, when I go to play
it, all I see is the background and no objects. I know I'm doing
something wrong here. Anybody know?

2. If the animation is longer than 100 frames, it hangs my PC after
making the 105th or so frame. This happened with the spacefig.scn
that came on the LW CD. It doesn't matter whether I'm using bounding
boxs or wire frames, it still hangs. If anyone can tell me the exact
procedure for making the preview of this without hanging up my PC,
I'd greatly appreciate it.

My second problem is when rendering a single frame (#43) of the 
blade scene on the LW CD.

These are the settings:
render type= Realistic
Trace shadows = on
Custom size = 1024x768
pixel aspect ratio = square pixels
Antialiasing = Med.
Soft Filter = on
Adaptice Sampling = on
Threshold = 8

With the above settings, my machine gets to rendering the second half
of the frame and crashing with the following error (this is most
likely useful only for the programmers):

			Win32s Error

Lightwave.exe

Unhandled Exception detected. (Code=0xC0000005, Lightwave.exe : 7C70B
[or sometimes 7C67E])

Any clues??

Thanks!

Alex

AT&T Bell Laboratories
No. Andover, MA